Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reflections of Southeast Alaska

June, 2007

Lately I have been reflecting on just how lucky I am to visit and photograph the places I do. The world is filled with those magical places that bring a sense of balance and wholeness into our lives. New and exciting places are always welcomed, but there are also places that just get better and better as I come to know and recognize the subtle nuances of a location.

So it is with Southeast Alaska. 2007 marked my 8th summer in a row here, and with luck and good karma I may have many more to come! The wildlife is absolutely off the charts, but it is often the quiet and solitude that make this place so amazing. The image above is the entrance to Red Bluff Bay on Baranof Island.

The "golden hour" is of course the time to revel in the majesty, here on my own in Takatz Bay.

Life in Southeast is not for the faint of heart. Rugged, self-reliant, and independent people are found in all sorts of tiny and remote places, like here in Tenakee Springs on Chichagof Island.

A VERY busy summer day in the small town of Baranof Warm Springs, no room at the dock!

Recently converted to a bed and breakfast, the lighthouse in the five fingers island group.

Sunset over the Fairweather range in Icy Strait.

Snow melt waterfall on Baranof Island.

Reflections in the skiff's wake in the waters of LeConte Glacier, just outside Petersburg.

Sunset over Admiralty Island from the Colt Island anchorage.
Visit www.wildlifeimages.net to see my other photos.