Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beauty in the breach

April, 2010
Seems I can't help myself. I have now literally photographed thousands of breaching whales all over the world, but still I am drawn to the power and grace of an animal of this size leaping clear of the surface of the ocean.
Capturing that exact millisecond with a camera is still as exciting for me as it was the first time I did it, so many years ago...
When the humpback whale breaching is only a few days old (like this newborn calf - note the gray coloration) it is that much better...
Here a slightly older calf is perfecting its style!
Sometimes it just seems like adult whales are showing off (and of course they are). Even though this adult male is breaching for the benefit of other whales in the immediate area, we humans often see the effort as being for our own personal enjoyment.
But of course these are wild animals going about their daily lives not for our benefit, but to pass on their own genes to future generations.
Not to say that it doesn't absolutely get your heart pumping when it happens so close to the ship you are watching from.

To see more of my photography please visit my website at www.wildlifeimages.net