Saturday, January 05, 2008

Coyote Two Step!

October, 2007
Now I have really become enamored of the antics of coyotes. Living in the Sonoran Desert in Tucson, Arizona I get to see these guys all the time. They prowl my neighborhood looking for unsuspecting pets, they howl at the moon at night, and they even have the temerity to cross the road right in front of me whenever they please. Of course I never seem to have a camera ready to go to capture these events!

Here in Yellowstone National Park the first snows have come. The weather is turning frigid in the mornings. The foliage has all turned golden brown, and the coyotes are out in force looking and listening for small rodents in the tall grasses.

With total concentration this coyote leaps high into the air expecting to land on its prey for an easy meal, but...

there is nobody underfoot at the end of the first jump so with ears cocked forward the coyote immediately is airborne again!

Totally intent on its prey, oblivious to me, but the second jump yields nothing as well...

So much energy spent without success. Guess that's the way the (coyote) bounces!

Visit www.wildlifeimages.net to see more of my animal photographs!