Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet Greens and Blues of Maui

June 2008
Green Sea Turtles in clear blue water here on Maui. In my dreams I am often floating suspended in warm, salty water, surrounded by these ancient animals. Scientist believe marine turtles to have been here on our planet for about 450 million years.

Such a privilege to hang suspended in late afternoon light, a little tune by James Taylor lightly playing in the back of my mind...
Sweet greens and blues
Are the colors I choose
Won't you let me go down in my dreams?
Just like CT, green sea turtles must return to the surface to breath air...

Reflected light off a beautiful carapace on the sea's surface.

Hovering motionless invites a curious pass, just what odd creatures we "youngsters" (evolutionarily speaking) must seem to a green sea turtle!

Here is evidence that the seemingly slow and stately lifestyle of turtles isn't always so carefree...every now and then a shark comes by and jolts a turtle back into reality!
Visit www.wildlifeimages.net to see more of my marine photography.